These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Veins on top of hands
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/09/2007 07:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/09/2007 07:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
suewatters1

Hi everyone just wanted to know if anyone has veins on top of the hands that swell and pops right up; to see and feel them.
I notice when after nights of sleep when I wake up I see them but can't feel them because they don't pop up but once I am up the veins start to swell and they get bigger.
I notice when I sleep I don't have pain it when I wake up and start to use my hands.
I will tell this to my Family DR on Friday when I see him to fill out a form my work place asked for.
Also I go for my ultrasound on the 23 of this month will ask them.

PS: at work yesterday a lot of Coworker were giving me a hard time. I did not let them get to me. I told my boss and he offered to talk to them I said no. I just wanted him to know in case I get emotional over it or I start cursing at some of them. I am not very good at standing up for myself but some day soon I may be ready to tell them to F... O..

Sue

-------------------------
suewatters1 with Raynaud's and CIDP and ADHD and hearing loss in left ear. Tested positive for the HLA-B27 gene.
 05/09/2007 08:27 AM

Author Icon
tiredtaz

Sue,

Yes, The veins in my hands and the tops of my feet get swollen... Almost as if they are going to jump out of the skin... I wish I could tell you why or what this condition is, but sadly I'm in the dark... I have asked two different Rhuems about this and neither one has told me anything except it shows inflamation... (Well Duh!) My hands also become more painful the more I use them... If you come up with a reason, please let me know as I am very curious?

I am so sorry to hear that your co-workers are giving you a hard time. Are they aware that you have an illness? Perhaps they don't understand and literature would shed some light on the subject? On the other hand maybe they are just jerks and you might have to get in their faces to shut them up or at least force them to back off. It's not as much fun attacking someone who will attack back! Perhaps you just need to get some broad shoulders and face them... (I know its easier said then done at times) about 22 years ago I was very shy and everyone took advantage of my good nature.... Unfortuneatly, I have created my own little edge... I'm either your best friend or your worst enemy and I'm quick to tell people to choose wisely...LOL I am always quick to stand up for myself and my loved ones, I will no longer be a welcome mat for people to wipe there feet on....
(My hubby calls me a firecracker...LOL because of my short temper and ability to hold my own) As I may be a little quick to stand up now, but at least I'm not taken advantage of, and I be darned if someone would give me a hard time due to something I can't control.... Anyway............ Sorry to run off at the mouth, but it is a sore subject...(one many different levels) I wish you the best and the courage/strength to defend yourself... You should have to deal with being sick as well as arogance while at work or anywhere else...
Prayers
Bonnie

Edited: 05/09/2007 at 08:28 AM by tiredtaz
 05/09/2007 05:34 PM

Author Icon
suewatters1

Thanks Bonnie They are jerks and my boss knows exactly who they are without me telling him.
My co-workers know I have more then 1 medical problem. They kept saying stuff out loud like They got this disease and they found information on it on the internet it's called Lazyitis and other stuff. There way of saying that I am making my problems up by going on the internet finding them there. They even tried to make my job harder by not putting there board in the right spot so I couldn't do my job properly and I would have to stop production and get blamed for it.

I will let you know what my DR says or if he doesn't know maybe the people doing the ultrasound will know.

Thanks

Sue

suewatters1 with Raynaud's and CIDP and ADHD and hearing loss in left ear. Tested positive for the HLA-B27 gene.
 05/09/2007 07:16 PM

Author Icon
kmcloughlin

Hi Sue~

What a lousy day at work for you! So sorry to hear about it, but you go girl for not letting them get to you! By not reacting to them, I think that you handled things the best way. They, sadly, want to upset you it seems, and if you don't react I would hope they will stop. You're smarter and better than them, for sure!
Interesting question about veins, I look at the back of my hands and the veins on them sometimes and they look like my Grandmother's did when she was in her 80's. Fortunately they do not bother me. I wish you luck at your dr appt on Friday, and will be anxious to hear what he has to say about them.

Kim
 05/09/2007 07:25 PM

Author Icon
suewatters1

Thanks Kim My family Dr might not know what they are. To me it looks like my mom's legs full of varicose veins. But at night my veins don't stand out so maybe the swelling goes down at night.

Will keep you all posted

Sue

05/09/2007 07:49 PM

Author Icon
kmcloughlin

Oh my, I must have too much on my mind with our upcoming move! When you mentioned vericose veins, a light bulb went off that I had vericose veins behind my knees removed about 11 years ago. They were quite painful, and being an avid walker, I just had to do it. It was outpatient surgery, and after I had fully healed the pain was gone (& my legs look so much better)!

Wonder if there is some sort of correlation with vein issues and Raynaud's? Have to look around here for info and on some web-sites too.

Kim

Edited: 05/09/2007 at 07:50 PM by kmcloughlin
 05/09/2007 10:00 PM

Author Icon
tiredtaz

Sue,

Remain strong, and keep a strong upper lip..... I can't understand why people enjoy causeing others pain... Perhaps they have to hide there own problems...

Hope things get better for you at work... And If I learn anything about these veins I'll be sure to pass it along as well....

Best wishes
Bonnie
 05/12/2007 11:45 PM

Author Icon
wjhauber

Sue-

I noticed recently that my veins on my hands and arms are very prominent sometimes... My daughter commented about it to me the other day.

I had not made any connection between the prominent veins and primary Raynaud's disease. I figured that it was a side effect of losing between 110 and 115 pounds in the last year. I have gotten very skinny with a fairly low percentage of body fat.

I was surprised though. I had a bunionectomy last Tuesday and hernia surgery on Thursday. (Yes really!) For both surgeries, IV's were started. When the nurse started the IVs, my veins didn't look swollen or prominent to me. They just looked normal to me.

I *was* told that I had nice veins and the nurses appreciated the easy installation of the IV. :-)

My veins look prominent to me just now as I type this. I was beginning to wonder why the change in appearance when I read your post.

I am surprised to learn that there might be a Raynaud's connection. Has anyone found this behavior listed in the Raynauds literature?

Wayne

Wayne

primary raynauds diagnosed in Jan 2007
 05/13/2007 10:20 AM

Author Icon
suewatters1

Hi Wayne I hope you rest from both surgeries.

I just notice since I started having inflammation in my hands that the veins would be prominent. I notice when I am bed especially after a night sleep that my veins are not prominent. But once out of bed. they become more noticeable. I think it's almost like a vasculitis.

When you notice your veins noticeable raise your hands about your head. You might notice the veins look normal. Also the same goes by putting your hands down; fingers pointing down you notice the the veins are really big.
I go for my doppler ultrasound on May 23. Will bring it up to the people doing the ultrasound they might be able to tell me why.

Will keep you posted if I remember to ask the question and what there answer is.

Sue

05/13/2007 10:40 PM

Author Icon
wjhauber

Thanks for the tips. I am very interested in hearing about your visit.

My veins are swollen now...late in the day. But they looked good this morning and the morning of my surgeries.

Off topic:
I have a visit with my podiatrist tomorrow to see if the frozen tendon that he released is still free and to see if my bunionectomy was successful. It will be a great relief to know of the tendon release is successful. I was having trouble walking because the tendon that moves the big toe was scarred in place from a surgery on Nov. 28. If is still moving, you may hear the cheer all the way in your part of the country!

I get to see my hernia surgeon too. He did a good job, so I am not too worried about it.

I will probably go back to work on Friday.

Wayne

primary raynauds diagnosed in Jan 2007
 03/30/2008 03:42 PM

Author Icon
coldchills

Hi Kim,

Just saw your post about vericose veins and Raynauds. I have both also. I have the large blue veins as well as the small red spider veins. What type of surgery did you have that worked? I have been very worried that removing any veins would make my Raynauds worse. I also have very prominent veins in my hands -- like an old lady's! But this is all the time, does not come and go.

Diane
 08/02/2008 01:00 PM

Author Icon
shuttrbug74

i have just been "half dx" (still going through testing - primary doc is pretty sure I ahve it - still need to see the rhemy to confirm) and was poking around the site and saw your post on the raised veins....

For as long as I can remember I ahve had HUGE veins in my hands and feet. Ive always called them "man veins" they look like that of a guy who works out a TON, bulging and what not. I tried your trick of raising my hands above my head and they went away....I could have cried...silly I know but again, these are all things I have complained about to docs for years having them blow them off and getting no answers. And also had it drilled into me that it was all in my head - and finally - I am finding ppl who GET IT and HAVE IT....and I am finally feeling close to an actual ANSWER. Seriously I ran to my bf excited because I someone understood and had a possible answer for it...after over 15 years on that one thing...YAY! So thank you for that question who knows who else that answer my help!!!

Oddly I was looking at the possibilities of what if it was secondary Raynauds...and looked into (for education purposes just incase) some of the things it could be - every single symptom I ahve had for 8 to 10 years that has been coming on or getting worse falls into one category and insted of being scared of the possibility, I was actualy becoming relived...because if it IS that..I would have a NAME and we could go forward finally....Is'nt it wierd to pray that a test result comes back positive for something?

People just don't understand when we suffer for so long not knowing that we just want an answer............
 08/02/2008 04:43 PM

Author Icon
Trish

I too have rather prominent veins on the backs of my hands, sometimes one of my sons says they look like they will burst!
I just thought it was me though, never considered a link to Raynauds!
 08/03/2008 08:25 PM

Author Icon
Sarah

I have never heard of an association between Raynaud's and enlarged veins. Skin and vein changes on the top of the hands are part of the normal aging process. If the veins become unsightly a procedure called sclerotherapy can be performed to reduce the bulging of the vein.
http://www.veinclinics.com/hand-veins.html

I remember reading an article about the singer Madonna that talked about the veins on her hands and was able to locate the website. I apologize for the gossipy nature of this article but it has some good information about enlarged hand veins.

Why do Madonna's hands look older than her face?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/hea...s-look-older-face.html

Secondary Raynaud's with a connective tissue disease

Edited: 08/04/2008 at 02:42 PM by Sarah
Statistics
61383 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 863 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 863 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.