These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone have Raynaud's and Celiac???
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2008 11:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2008 11:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
robertsnmore

My 18 month old has an appt with Rhem for Raynaud's in April and her ped. today said she would like her to be tested for Celiac too...anyone had these two things together?

Thanks,
Heather
 03/06/2008 02:40 PM

Author Icon
olebandit

Heather,

Celiac is one of a few autoimmune illnesses that have to do with the lack of absorption of nutrients in the digestive system leading to malnutrition. There are some conditions like Chrohn's, pancreatic deficiencies and a few others that can have these same symptoms.

I know of no link to Celiac with Raynaud's. But lack of absorption of nutrients into our system can be serious. Are there some symptoms other than Raynaud's symptoms occuring? There has to be a reason for your Pediatrician wanting to do the tests for Celiac.

It would help if you could describe more of her symptoms. I would obviously follow through with the testing if there were any doubts in my mind whatsoever.

Robert

-------------------------
I share information based on my years of experience with autoimmune disorders. Your doctor should be consulted when you are at risk for potentially serious problems. I am not a medical professional, just another patient with lots of experiences.
 03/06/2008 06:50 PM

Author Icon
robertsnmore

Robert...thanks for your reply. My daughter, Autumn, has had some foul smelling bowel movements that have been pale as well as a small amount of weight loss. She lost 1 1/2 pounds since her 15 month checkup. She is super tall (35") so she looks very thin and her belly is protruding.

The ped. did call and say to also try to limit her milk products to see if there is a change. So we shall see...

Thanks,
Heather
 03/06/2008 07:50 PM

Author Icon
olebandit

Heather,

While waiting until April is not long, it will surely seem like an eternity waiting to find the information that only a specialized medical doctor is going to help you and Autumn with.

I have always been very concerned with our very young members. It makes it so much more difficult with the very young, those who are unable to share what they are experiencing. It makes me sad for the children dealing with all this. We have several on the forum, some have been here since birth basically. I feel so much compassion for them and those entrusted to care for them. This is so hard on parents. But these kids most all seem to be over-achievers and great kids...most seem very smart. Don't know why that is.

Having confidence in your doctor is paramount. I have always harped on getting connected with only the best doctors, especially with children young enough that they are unable to effectively communicate. I would recommend you read the "Moms and Kids" thread under Meet and Greet category. There are hundreds of posts many from moms of kids with Raynaud's. It is a huge place for great information from other parents.

I wish the best for Autumn and just have faith that things will work out for the best. You can not personally control the outcome, only deal with the symptoms at this point. I hope you and the doctors are able to find the most wisdom in doing the right things to help Autumn.

Robert

I share information based on my years of experience with autoimmune disorders. Your doctor should be consulted when you are at risk for potentially serious problems. I am not a medical professional, just another patient with lots of experiences.

Edited: 03/06/2008 at 07:59 PM by olebandit
 03/07/2008 01:40 AM

Author Icon
Honeybee

Hi Robertsnmore,

I know of no correlation between the two disorders, but I have both Raynaud's and Celiac disease. It is a lot easier to deal with the dietary changes now then it was even 5-8 yrs. ago. There are a lot of products on the market that are gluten free. Initial testing is done with a simple blood test (detecting antibodies to gluten). Don't worry, this disorder is treated simply by avoiding gluten, which is increasingly easier to do.
Finding out early is a blessing. I hope your daughter is well.

Some good websites:

www.celiac.org

http://www.labtestsonline.org/...iac_disease/test.html

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/

Honeybee
 03/07/2008 06:05 AM

Author Icon
midgetmaid

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I have raynaud's and gluten sensitivity. After I started a gluten free diet last October, I saw many improvements. It is easier to be gluten free today than in the past. Even eating out is possible with a little research. The diagnosis seems overwhelming at first, but is really not bad. No meds, etc... just stick to the diet!

Dee

raynaud's
Grave's disease
gluten sensitivity
Statistics
63950 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 923 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 923 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.