These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How many have low blood pressure?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/10/2009 07:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/10/2009 07:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SandyG

It seems like alot of raynauds people have low blood pressure - is the general idea that this can be a symptom, or is it something that often comes with secondary raynauds? (I have low bp too.)

Also - anyone had acyclovir or valacyclovir recommended to them? I had some for shingles and although I didn't get rid of the raynauds I felt great - better energy, better breathing, swallowing.

While we're quizzing - have alot of others lost the curvature of their spine? I notice another poster mentioned losing the curvature of their neck (from posture) and I had a physio person notice that I'd lost the curvature of my back. I am suspecting this means polymyositis or something.

If this makes you feel warm where you are... it will be 3 above F here tonight - I usually have it about 60-62 f. inside (which I can tolerate ok).
 01/13/2009 03:26 PM

Author Icon
kf0382

I have low blood pressure too but I don't know about any correlation between the two. I have primary raynauds. Since I have the low bp I was scared to take the procardia I was prescribed but oddly enough my bp is the highest it has ever been, so I'm confused because the procardia is for hypertension which should have lowered my bp even more. I have had alot of success with the procardia and low dose asprin together. Don't know if this helps you at all though.
 01/19/2009 12:05 PM

Author Icon
FrostyinDE

I also have low blood pressure. I am not taking any medication yet for Raynauds, but plan on mentioning this to my doctor when, and if, she decides to go the medication route.
 01/19/2009 04:36 PM

Author Icon
SandyG

Thanks for the feedback. Re. medicine that should make bp lower actually makes it higher - it seems to be the way these autoimmune things go -- that is, they work backwards. Makes you wonder if whatever is causing the raynauds also causes low blood pressure, and the treatments relieve that as well.
 01/27/2009 11:12 AM

Author Icon
karatt

I also have low bp and a low normal body temp 97.0F. I always wondered if one or the other were related to Raynaud's. I don't have much curvature in my spine either, but I never attributed it to Raynauds. I suppose anything is possible.

-------------------------
Primary Raynaud's diagnosed in 1989.
 01/29/2009 02:52 PM

Author Icon
spinqueen

I have low pressure - usually around 93 over 48. With the meds, I can run lower.

I also have lower body temperature - around 97.

I have been diagnosed as Primary Raynauds.

Will be interesting to see how this thread builds.

spinqueen

Edited: 03/30/2009 at 12:13 PM by spinqueen
 01/31/2009 02:52 AM

Author Icon
misty111

I have low blood pressure as well. A few years prior to being diagnosed with raynaud's, I was diagnosed with essential tremor. I began taking medication for that condition with one of the side effects being low blood pressure. So not sure if that medication had an effect on the symptoms of my raynaud's coming out or not.
 03/03/2009 05:27 PM

Author Icon
Greenwood

I have low blood pressure too. Generally anywhere between 102 and 116. I'm very petite though, so I think that is normal. As far as i know, my Raynauds is primary but I haven't been tested for anything. I also have VVS (woman thing) that is not well understood but it is suspected that it is a reactive autoimmune response.
 03/04/2009 09:03 AM

Author Icon
ColdHandsWarmHeart

ahh someone else who lives in the cold country. I am in MN, and this has been a cold cold winter, we've had as cold as 40- with the wind. I thought about seeing if I could get financial help with me heating bill due to raynauds. lol I have to keep the house at around 72, and thats with 2 pairs of socks, and a hot coffee in my hands t shirt sweatshirt, I just do NOT get warm at all.

I also have always had lower blood pressure, it is usually 105/75 or there about, but went to the dr yesterday and it was 102/55, which is really low. My dr told me last year, that usually they can treat raynaud's with a medication that lowers blood pressure, but because mine was low already, he wouldn't give me any. so, he suggested wearing light gloves even when its like 65 degrees out. After a few times of doing it, and feeling like a fool, I realized that it did help some, and so now, when we are sitting outside by a fire in 65 degrees I am wearing gloves and a sweatshirt. But if that is what it takes to enjoy the outside, and my family, then thats what I have to do.
 03/04/2009 10:59 PM

Author Icon
stephnie13

I have not been officially diagnosed yet, but had a veinous study done today and feel like they are going to diagnose me with this. I have low blood pressure. 110/70 last time it was taken (JAn) and when I was prenant in 04 it got as low as 97/58.....
 03/30/2009 11:06 AM

Author Icon
abqwxman

I recently read part of a book on hypothyroidism. The title was "Solved: The Riddle of Illness" by Dr. Stephen Langer. He says "cold hands and feet" are a symptom of hypothyroidism. He may have mentioned low pressure too, along with a host of other symptoms. Anyway, he recommends a therapy of nutritional supplements. I've ordered and begun experimenting.

I've heard "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross also discusses "cold hands and feet" as a symptom of an under-performing thyroid. I've requested a copy through Interlibrary Loan.

-Jeff
 03/30/2009 11:21 AM

Author Icon
JLWmassage

I too have low BP and a low body temp. 97

Primary Raynaud's since 1990
 07/30/2009 06:29 AM

Author Icon
jgroeber

I have low blood pressure as well. I have a friend who also has Raynaud's but, she has high blood pressure. I just thought I would reply and let you know.

Jennifer in Ohio
 07/30/2009 07:38 AM

Author Icon
Sarah

We do get many reports of members having low blood pressure but I have never read an article or seen a study that states people with Raynaud's have a lower blood pressure than the general population.

This Wikipedia article on Normal Human Body Temperature states that normal body temperature may differ as much as 1.0 °F between individuals or from day to day. I have heard that women tend to have a lower normal body temperature than men.

Secondary Raynaud's with a connective tissue disease
 07/30/2009 09:35 AM

Author Icon
lynchic

I'm with the low blood pressure/low body temp crowd as well.

Normal BP for me is (100-110)/(60-70).
Sometimes my BP drops low, I've had down to 80/60 recorded

My average body temp is between 97-97.5 but almost always below 98.
 07/30/2009 11:46 PM

Author Icon
Flame

I have alway had low blood pressure (usually 105-110/55). Was just diagnosed with primary Raynaud's but have had cold hands and feet for years. Normal body temp but for my 2 cents, I don't think core body temp relates as much since we are dealing with cold extremities? I thought that the reason why our extremities get cold is because our body is redirecting blood flow and maintaining core temps as to not compromise our major organ functions. Thus wouldn't it make sense that we wouldn't see any difference in body temp as others who don't suffer from this condition?

But... measuring the temp of our fingers or toes... that would be more relevant.

Oh! I do have S- curvature of the spine (upper back and shoulders constantly aching)...

Edited: 07/31/2009 at 12:46 AM by Flame
 07/31/2009 12:42 AM

Author Icon
Flame

In addition, I wonder if low blood pressure is more related to primary than secondary Raynaud's? Maybe primary Raynaud's occurs because our low blood pressure condition correlates with our vessels or arteries being insufficient in sending the circulation through to our extremities and that's why the arteries go spastic?
 01/07/2010 10:58 PM

Author Icon
tpat

I too have low blood pressure usually 90-98 over 58-68. It is always interesting to look at the face of the nurse taking the blood pressure. They usually look to see if I am still alive.
 01/25/2010 07:27 PM

Author Icon
denise

I had to laugh at the last comment. I too look at the nurses' faces when they take my blood pressure. It is usually in the 90's/60's. My normal body temperature is 97, and I have also lost some of the curve in my neck and have a history of herniated discs in my neck, not from an injury either. Sometimes when I read theses posts, I find it eerie that many of us share the same symptoms, yet no one has ever "connected the dots".

Edited: 01/25/2010 at 07:27 PM by denise
 01/26/2010 08:26 AM

Author Icon
HandsRCold

I have low blood pressure also, and that is one of the reasons why I don't want to take medication the doctors offer to treat the Reynauds......it always seems that the first side effect is "lower blood pressure"....that's all I would need is to pass out somewhere!!! I also find it interesting that this is never mentioned as an "offcical symptom", when it seems almost everybody that has Reyanuds has low BP.
FORUMS : Questions and Answer... : How many have low blood pressure?

1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
62721 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 689 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 689 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.