These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Warmest Winter coat
Topic Summary: Warmest Winter coat
Created On: 02/06/2010 05:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/06/2010 05:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
raypsyd

Looking for the warmest winter coat possible, casual, not dress Prefer it not too puffy, but don't want to sacrifice warmth. Aesthetics are not a priority, but it would be nice if it isn't ghastly. Will spend hundreds, but not thousands.
 02/07/2010 07:32 PM

Author Icon
stevie

I bought something called a squall jacket from Lands End (the one with the extra lining). I think it was around a 100 dollars. It is a little bulky, but it is windproof, and has two pockets large enough to hold my microwaveable mitts. I've walked the dog in 10 degree weather for over an hour, and have been fine (I wear a hat, thermal socks, 400 weight thermalite boots and always have my mittens heated before leaving the house).
 02/08/2010 07:39 PM

Author Icon
HandsRCold

I have two Lands End jackets. One is puffy and I have had it for almost 5 years I think. By far the warmest jacket I have. Last year I bought one of their slimmer jackets, and it is much shorter, and while warm enough, not nearly as warm as the puffy one! I also got a North Face slim jcket this year, and it is suprisingly warm, but expensive. I wouldn't have bought it if it weren't on sale. So, the short answer from me is Lands End!
 02/09/2010 08:30 PM

Author Icon
acadia

I just bought a jacket from LL Bean and I wouldn't recommend it. I live in Massachusetts and it does not keep me warm when it is below 30s. Patagonia coats are expensive but very warm. Check sierra trading post online.
 02/11/2010 09:41 AM

Author Icon
rcrott1

I have a columbia Mountaineering jacket that i got at Kohls for a little over 100... and i LOVE it. walked home the other day in 5 degree's and an Ice Storm... 7 miles, i was toasty warm.
 02/11/2010 10:59 PM

Author Icon
Frostie

The warmest winter coat I've found to date is the the Mystique Parka by Canada Goose. The look is pretty sleek for a down coat. Here are some of the features:

.Full calf-length provides the greatest protection and warmth available.
.Hood with removable coyote fur ruff on a removable hood with a Velcro®-secured collar.
.Heavy-duty, Center-front YKK® 2-way locking zipper.
.Down-filled flap behind Center-front zipper keeps you warmer.
.Two fleece-lined handwarmer pockets.
.Two interior security pockets.
.Recessed, heavy-duty, elasticized Nylon rib-knit cuffs keep out the cold.

The fill is 625 on the down. I've worn it in New Hampshire on cold, windy nights walking my dog and the coat is unbelievable warm!

I bought it last year for about $600 and it's worth every penny!

-------------------------
Frostie

Edited: 02/11/2010 at 11:01 PM by Frostie
 02/13/2010 10:43 AM

Author Icon
D

Consider getting a down vest to layer with any coat. In November, I spent $100 for a North Face vest that is not too bulky and this has been the most comfortable winter that I can remember.

D

Primary Raynaud's and May-Thurner Syndrome
 02/17/2010 10:11 PM

Author Icon
wjhauber

I have a down parka from Cabelas that is very similar to the one in the following link. It is like wearing a triple thickness down comforter. I got mine on sale at the end of season a couple of years ago. This sure looks like the same coat.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...uct&id=0070261920167a

My coat has some of the features that Frostie mentions for her coat. Mine keeps me very warm. When the hood is down and the zipper is all of the way up, the coyote ruff works like fuzzy ear warmers. I use that feature when I need peripheral vision (crossing streets etc.)

I also have a nice down vest which I often wear under a light jacket on warm days. When I drive home from work in a cold car, I often have an attack. Once I arrive at my house, I'll wear my warmest clothes and put on the down vest. The down vest feels very good and helps me warm up quickly. It has 660 down and is very thick and fluffy.

Wayne

primary raynauds diagnosed in Jan 2007
 11/06/2012 02:42 AM

Author Icon
LisawH

I'd love to have a coat on me for it is going cold now... I have a canada goose jacket but it is out of style now...
 11/11/2012 10:50 PM

Author Icon
Marietje

Hello. This letter comes from the hot country Australia...but boy...the winters can be so cold (for me) Yes it is understandable that you don't like your out of date
coat anymore, but plase do not get rid of it before you have bought a new one.
I need a 7/8 length coat too, but am unable to go to different shops, due to
mobillity problems ...and I am sure they do not sell any here because I never see one worn by other ladies. I have a warm parka, but need something longer. And this one make me look like a Michelin lady...Ahwell, summer is on her way (is it?)
My body temp was 35.6 this morning...Needs a bit of priming don't you think?
Loving wellwishes....
Marietje
 11/12/2012 04:42 PM

Author Icon
PurplePaws

I vote for the Land's end squall jacket too. It runs about $100 when you catch a 30% off sale. I have the longer version that covers your rear end. I liver in Oregon and like the fact that it is warm and waterproof. Use for walking dog and don't get the sleeve soaked holding out the lease. I also have d down coat but it is not good when cold and rainy.
Statistics
62001 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 721 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 721 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.