These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Half and Half nails
Topic Summary: Nails
Created On: 02/26/2011 03:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2011 03:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kacklebird

Hi,

Does anyone in the group have half and half nails as they call it? It's where your nails are divided in half with the upper portion being pink and the lower half being white. I developed this back when my nails started to change a few years ago. Just curious to know if anyone else has this.
 02/28/2011 12:33 PM

Author Icon
lynchic

No, I had to look it up to see what it looked like. Mine are reverse, white towards the top (obviously not the normal white part) and purple towards the base.
 03/02/2011 12:19 AM

Author Icon
kacklebird

Interesting what this diseases can do. Have your doc (s) ever comment on the cause of yours?

Take care
 03/03/2011 08:43 PM

Author Icon
acadia

Hi I have extended white on the tops of my nails. A time progresses the white part extends further down the nail bed and I fear my nail may fall off soon. Last week I saw my rhumatologist and asked her about it. I assumed my nails were turning white because of lack of blood flow. She said she has never seen nails like mine on someone with raynauds and that I should see a dermatologist. I have read a lot online about nails but haven't come across anything about them turning white (not just white lines or dots).
 03/04/2011 01:45 PM

Author Icon
karenb

I just joined this forum, as I was searching for "half and half nails raynaud's" and this popped up.

I have not been worked up by neurologist, but freaked last year when I saw my nails, as I've read it is related to renal issues.

kacklebird, have you been worked up? any other symptoms? Do you have another diagnosis?

Thanks
 03/18/2011 03:49 PM

Author Icon
lovday

I just came from my third dermatologist..this one thinks it could have to do with Raynaud's. She is going to research it. My nails have been like you describe for the last two years. It is something that comes and goes. This is the first time I have heard of anyone else having this and linking the two together.
 04/04/2011 05:50 PM

Author Icon
jesst96

I have the same thing. I had a kidney problem when I was very young (about 30 years ago) so I was worried about renal failure when I looked it up online. I never thought it might be related to Raynaud's. It started in my ring fingers and now is in my middle and pinkie fingers too. The past week the white part of my ring finger has gotten deeper as well. Please post a follow-up if you get any more information. I'm between insurances right now, so I can't get in to see a doctor for a couple of weeks.
 05/26/2011 10:51 PM

Author Icon
Babs

I have the same thing; it seems to have just started recently. I have found pictures on the internet and have seen it called Terry's nails which every site says is due to liver disease. I am a very healthy 36-year-old with no history of liver disease and little to no alcohol use. I have had Raynaud's for many years and can't help believing the nail condition is related to Raynaud's. This last winter my Raynaud's was worse than ever; I had problems on a daily basis. I have a doctor's appt next week and am going to ask her if she thinks this is what it is. The bottom 3/4 of my nails are very pale, and then the top 1/4 is a dark pink/red color.
 12/11/2011 08:00 PM

Author Icon
Katie623

My nails are like that also. My dermatologist and family doctor don't know what it is but think it may be related to raynaulds. What did you find out about yours?
 02/08/2012 06:56 PM

Author Icon
acadia

Update:I saw my rhumatologist again this year. Last year she said she had never seen the white tip of the nail extending like my have. She is fairly new to practice, I was one of her first patients. During the summer my nails returned to normal. With winter they started again even though I haven't had any attacks yet this season. At my this years appointment she said the nail was becoming more white because of the raynauds and was lifting. I guess she learned more over the year
 03/16/2012 06:29 AM

Author Icon
izzysmom

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've had the symptoms of half and half nails or Terry's nails off and on since the early 1990s. It was the condition of my nails that led to my Raynaud's diagnosis. My dermatologist has never labeled my nail condition as half and half or Terry's but my symptoms match everything I've read online. I go through cycles where my nails look great, and then horrible. Although my nails do seem better in the warmer months, I've often doubted that my nail condition is just attributable to Raynaud's. My blood work is consistently normal. I wonder if the nails are a sign of things to come. Have you gotten an medical advise about your nails?
 08/18/2012 05:51 AM

Author Icon
chillyhoops

My nail beds go from pale white at the tips to bright purple near the base when I get cold.

-------------------------
Shannon
Primary Raynaud's diagnosed in early childhood.
Developed cold urticaria in 2001, and diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 2008.
Statistics
63415 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 827 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 827 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.