These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: neuropathy
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/15/2011 05:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/15/2011 05:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bubblebath3

Has anyone developed neuropathy from Raynauds? My daughter now has muscle spasms in her calves, shooting pain in her legs and tingling in her feet. Currently on neurontin.... advice? oh has lost sensation in her feet.
 09/16/2011 08:21 PM

Author Icon
Karen

Here's an article that explains about peripheral neuropathy, as it can have many causes.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/heal...al-neuropathy/DS00131

I have neuropathy in my hands and cramping in my calves on occassion, but I also have fibromyalgia and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome which have these as accompanying symptoms, so it can't be pinpointed to only the Raynaud's.

It would be best to have her doctor do a thorough workup and sometimes it can take years before a diagnosis is found. Until then, they usually give medication to control the symptoms to enable one to have a better quality of life.

Karen

-------------------------
I will persevere & live strong.

Secondary Raynaud's to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
 09/28/2011 08:40 AM

Author Icon
cornerdesk

dear bubblebath,
i first developed neuropathy, then Raynauds. the dr. prescribed neurontin(gabapentin) for pain. The med. made me dizzy & sleepy, and i couldn't read and do my work. I didn't take it. I started wearing Danskin velcro sneakers and cushioned socks. I also wear 20-30 compression stockings. A year later when Raynaud's symptoms began, the dr. prescribed verapamil, which reduced foot pain. i also had to leave my employment as a teacher and bec. the conditions also affect my hands can't use the computer extensively nor play piano or guitar. however, the verapamil and reduced stress, i've been able to engage in moderate dancing with gel sole inserts and swimming in a heated (@90 degrees) pool, which has restored some mobility and strength to my hands. my feet still hurt, and i elevate them and avoid walking on cement. the caution i think w/ pain-reducing medicines w/ Raynaud's is that if you can't feel your feet, you don't know when they're dangerously cold. I use heat pack handwarmers in my shoes and am looking into battery heated socks, as the gloves recommended on the raynaud's site work pretty well. i hope your daughter finds some solutions for her feet, bec. it's a shame for a young person to have to endure such difficult limitations. i hope this info. has been of some value to you.
regards,
cornerdesk
 10/01/2011 08:26 AM

Author Icon
dogrescuer

Dear Bubblebath,
In the evening I take a hot soak bath. Also, whenever my feet are freezing, I put my bedbuddy in the microwave for 2 mins and prop my feet on it.
Good Luck,
Dog rescuer

Dog Rescuer

Raynauds, Lupus, Sjogrens, fibromyalgia, RA, Cronic neuropathy
 10/01/2011 08:29 AM

Author Icon
dogrescuer

Dear Bubblebath,
Under the list of problems, you might have your daughter tested for Sjogrens. It does cause neuropathy, and I have never heard of Raynauds causing it.
Hope this helps,
Dog Rescuer

Dog Rescuer

Raynauds, Lupus, Sjogrens, fibromyalgia, RA, Cronic neuropathy
Statistics
62804 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 526 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 526 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.