These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: l arginine
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/24/2011 09:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/24/2011 09:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hippychick66

I saw on Dr. Oz that l arginine is supposed to be helpful w/ blood flow to the extremeties. Has anyone tried this? Thank you for your time, Lisa H.
 09/25/2011 11:50 AM

Author Icon
stevie

I've been taking 500 mg twice a day for 4 or 5 months now. I don't notice much during the day, but if I'm careful (no washing hands in cold water), my fingers do feel warmer in the evenings. This is unusual for me as for years my fingers have been icy cold during the evenings.

I've made other changes with supplements and diet and feel better in general (secondary raynauds), so don't know if arginine is what has made a difference.

It's better if a ND, or someone knowledgeable about supplements, that knows your history prescribes arginine for you. There are some health conditions where you shouldn't take it, or at least not take a high dosage.
 10/02/2011 07:44 PM

Author Icon
LindaR

Hi hippychick66,

I've done extensive reading on l-arginine research over the past 5+ years, and from a cardiovascular standpoint, 4-5 grams per day is the minimum needed for a "therapeutic" effect. If you are going to take an l-arginine based supplement, you'll want to be sure to take a high-quality formula... one that is manufactured under GMP standards by a reputable company, has absolute consistency in ingredient quality and dosage, and has specific other nutrients (such as antioxidants).
LindaR
 11/04/2011 07:52 PM

Author Icon
chillyboxer

Please be careful if you have problems with herpes simplex on the face (cold sores) and especially may want to reconsider if you have occular issues with this virus. L-arginine competes with lysine and having higher lysine levels is said to help in dealing with this virus.

My rheumatologist mentioned this to me when I asked about the L-arginine and just wanted to pass this along. There may be other health issues that may warrant another consideration as well.
 11/06/2011 05:38 PM

Author Icon
LindaR

My experience has been that the stronger my immune system has become (as a result of taking a high-quality arginine complexer formula), the fewer herpes/fever blister outbreaks... I used to have outbreaks several/many times a year (even though taking lysine on a daily basis), and ALWAYS had outbreaks when under stress. Since starting this arginine-based supplement over 5 years ago, I have had only ~3 minor outbreaks!

"... restricting dietary arginine is no longer considered to be an effective way to manage herpes. And, it may be deleterious for anyone with problems concerning nitric oxide production pathways (esp. those with hypertension)." ~
http://www.metametrixinstitute...ts-Avoid-Arginine.aspx
Statistics
63354 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 354 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 354 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.