These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Mitral Valve Prolapse question
Topic Summary: Toprol XL and pregnancy
Created On: 09/15/2006 04:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/15/2006 04:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Shannerson

Howdy,

I know many here have MVP, me being one of them.  I am on Toprol XL.  We are going to be trying to conceive.  I asked my GP if it was okay to stay on the drug and she said there was no problem.  Anyone heard anything different?  Thanks.
 09/16/2006 11:36 PM

Author Icon
Erin

I dont know anything about potrol myself.   If you have a good pharmacist if might be helpful to run it by them.  or if you are really concerned get another opinion. Best of luck!!!
 09/17/2006 04:18 PM

Author Icon
Sarah

Shannerson

I do not remember discussing MVP before in the Raynauds Forum. Toprol is not a common drug that people use for Raynauds. You may not get any responses to this question.
Sarah

-------------------------
Secondary Raynaud's with a connective tissue disease
 09/17/2006 05:57 PM

Author Icon
olebandit

Shannerson,
Toprol is a beta blocker which is a drug class that is counterproductive for Raynaud's. That is why calcium channel blockers are used most commonly, at least initially, with Raynaud's patients. Toprol or any of the many beta blockers can actually worsen the effects of Raynaud's. They are prescribed commonly for HBP. MVP is a heart condition. It is not that uncommon of a problem, but finding people with Raynaud's on beta blockers is going to be a rarity I believe, if not a zero instance. If I had Raynaud's and my doctor had me on Toprol we would have to discuss it seriously. If you go to www.webmd.com and look up MVP, it is usually not required to have medicine for treatment, only regular check ups, unless you have some other problems like HBP, but not Raynaud's.

Robert

I share information based on my years of experience with autoimmune disorders. Your doctor should be consulted when you are at risk for potentially serious problems. I am not a medical professional, just another patient with lots of experiences.
 09/17/2006 08:00 PM

Author Icon
Shannerson

I must have gotten the forums mixed up then, sorry. 

I have Raynauds and MVP.  On the MVP forum, many also have Raynauds.  It must not be the other way around.  I need to take Toprol to control chest pain.

Thanks.

09/17/2006 09:13 PM

Author Icon
olebandit

Shannerson,
I don't know how serious of a Raynaud's case you have, but seriously, beta blockers are not good for Raynaud's. I would really discuss this with my doctor, preferably a Rheumatologist who is familiar with Raynaud's. Is a GP prescribing the Toprol? Can't imagine a Rheumatologist prescribing a beta blocker for a Raynaud's patient. There are lots of medications that will help with the chest pain other than a beta blocker. I am not a doctor and would not dare try to advise you what medication to take, but if you do some reading, you will find it plastered everywhere that beta blockers are bad for Raynaud's. Can actually make it worse. I hope you follow up so you do not have adverse effects from the Toprol with your Raynaud's.

Robert

I share information based on my years of experience with autoimmune disorders. Your doctor should be consulted when you are at risk for potentially serious problems. I am not a medical professional, just another patient with lots of experiences.
Statistics
63983 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 61 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 61 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.