These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: red dots on toes
Topic Summary: some are clusters some spread out...familiar?
Created On: 04/09/2007 11:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/09/2007 11:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
luvbnmom3

A few days ago I noticed that on the outside of both my big toes I have a cluster of red dots (like broken blood vessels maybe) & then individual ones spread out long the tip of almost all my left toes & some of my right.

Anyone know what they are? They just showed up out of nowhere. I noticed I have a few spread out at the top of my left thigh too.

-------------------------
<BR>Secondary Raynaud's
 04/10/2007 08:24 AM

Author Icon
Sarah

Hi luvbnmom3

I have gotten petechiae, little red spots, at various times. Petechie are caused by low platelets. My platelets are always on the low side of normal. This is one more indication to my Rheum that my disease is active and more aggressive treatment is needed.

These petechie appear most often on my legs and toes. If you haven't had a CBC in awhile your doctor may want that checked for low platelets. There are also blue and black marks on the skin called purpura which are damaged capillaries. Purpura can be caused by steroids and NSAIDS. Again, platelet count can be low if purpura develop.

I hope you can find the cause of your red spots. Please keep us posted.

Sarah

Secondary Raynaud's with a connective tissue disease
 04/10/2007 01:30 PM

Author Icon
tiredtaz

luvbnmom3,

I can't give advice or tell you what these dots are exacltly, but I get them as well. I was told at the very beginning of my diagnosis, and have somehow forgotten.... (Sorry My dots became painful at one point which caused me to seek medical advice which actually led to my diagnosis over 3 years ago. I ignored the coldness and my skin changing colors, but I couldn't ignor the pain. Some of the dots come and go as they please, but I have even gained a few permanant ones that have refused to leave; but its alright with me as long as they aren't painful. I mostly get them on my big toes, but they have effected all my toes at some point or another.

Best of luck, and know that your not alone
Bonnie
 04/11/2007 09:53 AM

Author Icon
luvbnmom3

Thanks for the info. I called my Rheumy, he ordered a CBC, Metabolic panel, Ammonia level, sed rate & cryolglobulins (sp). Had them drawn yesterday. The Cryo one they have to keep heated & the ammonia one they had to put on ice....kind of cool.

<BR>Secondary Raynaud's
 04/11/2007 10:46 AM

Author Icon
Sarah

Luvbnmom3

Glad to hear you spoke to the Rheum. Please let us know when you get the results of your tests. Hopefully they will show the cause and can be treated.

Sarah

04/12/2007 08:03 PM

Author Icon
Erin

I get these little dots on my fingers and toes at times. They look like someone poked them deep with a pin. It looks like tiny areas of bleeding under the skin.

I hadn't heard the word petechiae before, Sarah. Thanks, that might help me.

I'd be interested to hear what results you get from your labs, Luvbnmom3. I've been tested to cryos a couple of times. It has to be done just right, under the right temps. A couple doctors I saw were sure I had Cryoglobulinemia. One test showed mind abnormalities, while the rest were normal.
 04/12/2007 09:08 PM

Author Icon
Sarah

Erin

My Derm suspects that I have Cryoglobulinemia since it is associated with Lupus. But I have never been tested for it. Raynaud's is one of the symptoms. There are some good pictures of skin with Cryo in the Dermnet NZ section I posted in Raynaud's in the News. Those fingers could have been mine several years ago. My fingers look a lot better now. The color is more even and the swelling is gone.

Cryo is treated with immunesuppresants and steroids which I am presently on so Derm did not feel there was a need to test me.

Sarah

04/16/2007 12:42 PM

Author Icon
luvbnmom3

Thanks for the replies. My lab work is confusing me. I haven't heard back from the dr yet but I got the lab results. My BUN is low... I'm not overhydrated or lacking in my protein intake.

My eGFR has dropped by 24 mL or points in 10 months & is written as >60, but when you calculate it, the number was 103 10 months ago & now it's 79. Not sure what all that really means.

I'm still waiting to hear the results of the cryoglobulin test.

Normal eGFR for a female my age is >/= 107

<BR>Secondary Raynaud's
 04/17/2007 09:13 AM

Author Icon
Sarah

Hi luvbnmom3

I hope you will let us know what the doctor feels is going on with you. I get copies of all my lab tests in the mail but they usually take 10 days to get to me. I have either gotten a phone call from the nurse or seen the doctor by that time.

It is normal to want to see the results of our tests and try to interpret them ourselves. But I always feel much better when I can talk to the doctor and get the doctor's perspective on what the test means and the next step that needs to be taken. I hope things look better after you have talked to the doctor or nurse whichever is the case.

Please keep us posted.

Sarah

04/20/2007 09:57 AM

Author Icon
luvbnmom3

The doctor said not to worry about my eGFR, but I'm not going to ignore it. I mean, If that test shows how well your kidneys are functioning & my results say that there has been a significant drop in kidney function over the last 10 months (from 103 down to 79, 107 is normal for my age) & if <60 is when there is extensive kidney damage... then why aren't we looking into it?

Not to mention the fact that if Raynaud's attacks organs (like it has my nailfold capillaries & lungs) then wouldn't ya think that if over the winter months there has been a drop in kidney function that there's a possibility rayunaud's attacks on the kidneys has been going on?

Anywho, it's a headsup for me, take extra good care of my kidneys & be aware of any other health changes. Worse case scenario, I'm wrong & I end up with healthier kidneys when I'm old than if I hadn't paid attention to taking better care of them!

<BR>Secondary Raynaud's
 04/20/2007 02:00 PM

Author Icon
Erin

I am curious, how does your raynauds affect your lungs?

I wouldn't ingore those tests either. Are you having it checked regularly? I'd have it retested regularly so you can see where the numbers are going. Did your doctor explain why he wasn't concerned about the numbers?
 04/21/2007 09:10 AM

Author Icon
luvbnmom3

When I would get into the pool, it was harder to breathe, it felt to me like being submerged (to my armpits) in the pool caused this pressure feeling in my chest, it's hard to explain but it just felt like my chest (lungs) were being squeezed. The Rheumy said it is Raynaud's. I explained to him that the pool was very warm, almost like bath water & he said that even though the water may feel warm to me, the actual temperature is cooler than my body or not tolerated by my body or something & causes the attack.

<BR>Secondary Raynaud's
 04/21/2007 01:25 PM

Author Icon
Erin

do you know, does this feel like asthma? Does cold air bother you also? I get what I've thought it asthma when the air is cold or I eat something cold. my chest gets tight and hurts. I have a hard time getting enough air. It also happens when i exercise. the wierd thing is my brothers and sisters have this as well, and they also all have raynauds. they all developed both at about the same time. It might well be asthma, but it makes me wonder now if it's connected to our raynauds. interesting
 04/22/2007 09:10 AM

Author Icon
luvbnmom3

I don't know what asthma is like but the cold air can make you cough. The feeling I get in the pool is different, or maybe it's just so much more intense that it seems different, I don't know. But I can say that if I eat or drink something cold it can make me cough too, so if y'all have raynaud's it'd probably be safe to say that it's Raynuad's related (I'm not a doc though...so don't quote me on that...lol).

<BR>Secondary Raynaud's
Statistics
61303 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 989 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 990 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.