These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: trigeminal & geniculate neuralgia w/raynaud's
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/13/2011 10:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/13/2011 10:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nursemeg

I have had raynaud's symptoms for 7+ yrs and was "officialy" diagnosed w/ right-sided trigeminal & geniculate neuralgia 2+ yrs ago. Tried all the standard neuralgia meds w/o success and had microvascular decompression surgery 10/09 w/little success &big complications. Once actually seeing my nerves ENT &Neurosurgeon realized the souce of the problem (only 1 compressed nerve was shown on MRI) I have bundles of blood vessels wrapped around 5th & 7th cranial nerves). The 7th nerve was not able to be decompreesed b/c it was a tangled mess but the trigeminal was &I had a great deal of success until 6 mo later the symptoms returned &both nerves flared up worse than b4. So a few days ago I woke up w/LEFT-sided ear pain &my ear was completely numb & I had a very painfully stiff neck (similar to but not the same as when the right side when crazy). This new left issue is pain, numbness, burning, tingling & I thought maybe I have shingle but w/only 1 blister. My neurosurgeon (in 2009) told me that the likeihood of having both 5th &7th involvement was hard to believe so could I have all 4? Raynaud's, right sided trigeminal &geniculate neuralgia unresolved by brain surgery, &now left sided trigeminal &possibly geniculate too?! Is that possible? I guess if I have abnormal blood vessels but come on how unlucky can a girl be? My dad did have an aneurysm &strawberry hemangioma (as a kid). Has anyone else had this? There has got to be a blood vessels issue but what is it called &how do I treat it? I am a nurse &have done lots of research but this new possibility of having bilateral neuralgia's w/intensifying raynaud's? ! Really?! Help!
 02/14/2011 09:33 AM

Author Icon
Karen

Welcome to the forum, nursemeg, and I can't imagine that amount of pain to be in and am so sorry for you!

You have a neuro that you are seeing, but maybe consider seeing a rheumatologist and get his or her take on the Raynaud's and its origin. As an LPN, I'm sure you'd have no difficulty explaining your symptoms and getting an answer, whereas a non-medical person might get the round-around.

Karen

-------------------------
I will persevere & live strong.

Secondary Raynaud's to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
 02/14/2011 08:04 PM

Author Icon
iwonka

Hi Nursemeg,
I have almost the same problem. Have raynauds diagnosed 3 years ago. It is secondary with MCTD.About year ago I developed trigeminal neuralgia on the left side, not much pain but numbness and discomfort. My rheum said it is not connected so I went to see neurol. and after MRI he found nothing. In Dec the numbness moved to right side and I really don't know how to deal w/it. Do you also have sec Raynad's and what you taking?
Statistics
63445 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 606 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 606 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.