These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Total Disability Claims
Topic Summary: can you figure out why it is so difficult with all we have
Created On: 04/25/2007 08:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/25/2007 08:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
olebandit

I filed a claim for total disability with Social Security that is effective April 15, 2003. Like lots of others with autoimmune diseases it has been so difficult to get anything done. So many of our problems are difficult to prove. There is a year or longer wait anytime things change. It seems as though they are trying to turn you into a vagrant at times before you can get an answer.

I have been so sick of delays from denials, appeals, hearings, physicals by their doctors, etc. Four years is a long time to fight.

I received some long awaited info today in the mail. I finally was approved for full Social Security benefits with retroactive pay to the filing date. While it has been such of a challenge, I feel like I finally got a break. That break came from having determination and a refusal to give up. I can start looking for a new condo to move into tomorrow. I can finally move forward with my life.

If you are going through the same things, don't think the outcome is doomed. I do have several illnesses that could not be ignored and I would not have been successful unless the illnesses were real. But don't give up is the message. It can obviously take some time, but the results can be positive.

BUT IT FEELS GOOD TO GET THAT LETTER SAYING A CHECK IS ON THE WAY. I AM SO GLAD IT IS OVER.

Robert

-------------------------
I share information based on my years of experience with autoimmune disorders. Your doctor should be consulted when you are at risk for potentially serious problems. I am not a medical professional, just another patient with lots of experiences.
 04/25/2007 08:59 PM

Author Icon
Judith

Robert, I'm so happy for you. This must be a tremendous weight off your mind. It's great knowing that your perseverence finally paid off.

Judith
Secondary Raynaud's with underlying systemic sclerosis
 04/25/2007 10:54 PM

Author Icon
jessimccormick

Yeah!!! I feel your pain. We filed on Maggie in September last year, and of course we were denied. Not being able to leave the house for weeks at a time and having parts of her body change colors, not to forget all the problems that can go along with it is not a disability! I would love to know where they got that idea from! Anyway I am happy for you, and hopefully Tim and I will get some news that way soon!

Keep Warm
Jess and Maggie

Just another mom looking for the answers!
 04/26/2007 06:33 AM

Author Icon
suewatters1

I am so happy for you Robert On some other forum I heard people say it takes a long time to get it and some have to get a lawyer to help them with the process. Especially with all the pain you are having lately. I am so very very happy for you.
I know myself I have another 21years before my retirement date. I don't think I will make it that far. I worry about tomorrow instead 10years down the road.

Sue

suewatters1 with Raynaud's and CIDP and ADHD and hearing loss in left ear. Tested positive for the HLA-B27 gene.
 04/26/2007 07:56 AM

Author Icon
Sarah

GREAT NEWS I hope the check comes quickly. This has been a long ordeal for you and I am happy to hear that the waiting is over and the outcome is favorable.

sarah

Secondary Raynaud's with a connective tissue disease
 04/26/2007 08:33 AM

Author Icon
Karen

Congratulations Robert! I am so happy for you that this horrible ordeal is over and has turned out positive.

You have been, and continue to be, a positive force on this forum and I am so thrilled that life has rewarded you in kind. Hopefully, it can only go up from here!

The best of everything to you-

Karen-

I will persevere & live strong.

Secondary Raynaud's to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
 04/26/2007 09:04 AM

Author Icon
tiredtaz

Robert
That is great! I am very happy for you...
Bonnie
 04/26/2007 09:45 AM

Author Icon
kitten

Congratulations Robert!

Good news, long anticipated is wonderful news. You've had a rough time lately and I am glad that you will be able to breath easier,
Kay

Mixed Connective Tissue Disease / Secondary Raynauds
 04/26/2007 02:11 PM

Author Icon
olebandit

Thank you all,

I did not expect so many nice replies. I was really just trying to make a point that if you don't quit, you can win in these disability deals. They are just so frustrating.

I really appreciate all the kind messages from everyone. Thank you sincerely.

Robert

I share information based on my years of experience with autoimmune disorders. Your doctor should be consulted when you are at risk for potentially serious problems. I am not a medical professional, just another patient with lots of experiences.
 04/26/2007 02:31 PM

Author Icon
ameann

Hi Robert,
Great news,
Not that I know anything about disability deals and so on and so forth.

Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
Amelia
 04/26/2007 04:54 PM

Author Icon
olebandit

Amelia,

Social Security disability is just a system of the United States government where
if someone is determined by the government to be unable to maintain gainful employment due to health problems you can be declared disabled. When this happens the government pays you an income for life. This is based on the taxes you have paid into the system over time while you were working.

There are lots of parts to it that are too boring to go into. So to make it simple
it is a retirement income for life if you are deemed to be ill enough to merit the award. So I don't have to work anymore with all the illnesses I have and will still be compensated for the rest of my life. There are several of our members who have received the same benefits as our illnesses are bad enough and we have pursued the court system to claim our disability.

Robert

04/27/2007 03:16 AM

Author Icon
Erin

YAAAA! Thanks for sharing Robert! I was hoping this would be the outcome! I bet you are so relieved!
Statistics
62908 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 597 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 597 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.