These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: BEST heated gloves for driving in winter
Topic Summary: Hot product/ coping strategy
Created On: 01/15/2009 02:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/15/2009 02:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
HeatMiser

Hi everyone! I'm new to the website but not new to Raynaud's - just discovered this site today when I was doing a search for Raynaud's after I had a painful experience shoveling snow today in Chicago. I was looking for new coping strategies, and I plan to purchase some of that warming cream and some more of those Grabber packs to have on hand.

My experience with Raynaud's is that my fingers get white and numb when cold, and it can be EXTREMELY painful if too cold. My biggest problem was finding suitable gloves for driving. When it is - 1 degree here, the car is cold, the steering wheel is cold, and your fingers are numb and you can't feel the steering wheel, and you have a long commute; it can be dangerous. That is why I'm writing today -- to share products I've tried in order to help another person I noticed having trouble with driving as well.

Typically, if I am outside doing winter activities, like shoveling, I'll wear my Venture gloves (heated ski gloves with lithium ion battery packs). These packs are rechargeable with AC current overnight. You load the battery packs into slots on the gloves. They do take about 5 minutes to warm up, however, or so.

I did not put them on today - was in a rush to get outside. And, that was a mistake. However, I've found that these Venture gloves don't always keep me warm or warm up quickly enough if the charge is low, which is why I just put on some fleece gloves -- not enough.

The Venture gloves, if kept charged, are pretty good, albeit bulky. They are available at Sports Authority and www.HerringtonCatalog.com, to my knowledge.

However, I am writing to tell you all about Gerbing's heated gloves, because they are like the HOLY GRAIL for people like us with Raynaud's. I discovered these about 2 years ago, and I purchased them at MotoWorks Chicago, a local supplier/ motorcycle shop. They are available online at www.Gerbing.com. I have the G3 leather gloves. They plug into my car cigarette lighter and have a temperature control, that is adjustable. The only problem is, they are not extremely portable and are not inexpensive, though comparable in price to the Venture. I have yet to purchase the "battery pack" for better portability. The battery pack, similar to the lithium ion batteries used by Venture, is different in that it connects to other pieces of clothing, such as warming clothing worn by those who must work outside, sports enthusiasts, etc. The pack must be worn around the waist.

However, honestly, these are the BEST gloves I've ever tried. Once plugged into my car cigarette lighter, they are not just lukewarm - they get HOT! Almost immediately too. They are WONDERFUL for driving in Chicago -- excellent grip on the steering wheel, because I purchased the G3 leather version. However, they are bulky, and for women, not especially easy to just carry around, which is why I keep them in the car for driving only. However, I HIGHLY recommend them for those living in winter climates. Before I had these gloves, there were a few times that I CRIED from the pain and numbness on my hour+ commute in sub-zero temperatures. It was very frightening trying many different types of gloves with no success -- and still ending up with numb fingers, not able to grip the steering wheel very well. Quite scary, in fact. Sometimes, I'd pull over at a rest stop to warm my hands and then continue on.

I am also interested in finding out if anyone has tried the V5 gloves available at www.V5glove.com? Someone else posted a few messages about these, but never posted a review. Please let me know if these would be suitable for driving in winter, warm enough to wear on a hike in the woods, etc. I like the sleek look of them, but I'm not sure it they would be warm enough or how long they stay warm, how well they work, etc. The website did not have a lot of detailed information.

I thank you all for the information I've received thus far from reading your posts. It is good to know that there are others like me, but I long for a sleek, fashionable winter glove for my winter wear that will keep me warm and allow better dexterity!

Stay warm everyone!
 01/15/2009 01:07 PM

Author Icon
rcrott1

Heat, those sound amazing. makes me wish the cigarette lighter in my car worked... haha.
 01/18/2009 08:44 PM

Author Icon
beachus

I tried the V5glove, and am very sad to say I am returning them. The concept is great, and they do work as advertised, but I really need them to be 1) insulating and 2) windproof. My finger tips would get warm, but my hands/palms would freeze from either my steering wheel or the wind. I tried them under gloves, but they felt too tight/restricting. I tried them under mittens, but of course I lost all dexterity. They did work great for skiing, but only for about 2 hours. They are also very expensive. Maybe the next generation will be worth it.
 01/14/2011 09:21 PM

Author Icon
joanjennings

I have been experiencing this "hand" problem for several years- have 2 pr Gerblings gloves to attach to 12v system in bike but no battery ones and when I try to get them they are always out of my sizes.
Does anyone know whereelse I can get them? Thanks, joan
 12/07/2011 03:25 PM

Author Icon
elizilla

I looked at these at the motorcycle show last year:

http://www.powerlet.com/produc...eated-glove-liner/481

I owned the Gerbing gloves and they worked but they were too bulky and while they are waterproof, if it's raining it's hard not to bring water in with your hands when you put them on - and once you get them wet inside, it takes forever to dry them.

I'm planning to buy the Powerlet gloves this winter. I already have their heated jacket and it's great.
 01/09/2012 02:46 AM

Author Icon
spoiledcat42

I have a pair of the Gerbings plush gloves (they don't make the G3 style in a size small enough for me, unfortunately). I find the batteries on these bulky and troublesome. I also own a pair of Zerbing gloves. THEY are the best! Expensive but absolutely worth every cent of it. I researched heated gloves extensively two years ago before settling on these two: Gerbings and Zanier. I was able at the time to buy a pair of each. Check out the Zanier. I was sorry not to be able to give the Gerbing G3 gloves a try, but they COULDN'T be better than the Zanier. I bought these from Cozy Winters.com. That company's customer service has also been exemplary.
 12/01/2012 12:53 PM

Author Icon
Twinmom98

I see that the Gerbing's gloves are not heated on the palm side at all. Doesn't that affect the circulation in the fingertips?
 12/04/2012 03:09 AM

Author Icon
amylynn

I will be price/ googleshopping for best place to get those, at the top of my christmas list for self....I had to get out in the cold about a month ago and air up my tire..by the time I got extension cord and air compressor where I needed it my hands were soo cold/numb that I couldnt attach the end piece for the tire, I actually cried, got real upset and prob made it much worse, so if I just had those gloves handy then....

-------------------------
Amylynn...nm.....raynauds
 12/04/2012 12:51 PM

Author Icon
YTPedro

i bought a pair of ThermoGloves from Verseo.com a week ago. i had some online ordering issues, but i called up and personal service was great. the gloves on the other hand are questionable.

i'm not sure if i have Raynauds or not, but i'm sure i have poor circulation and so my digits freeze every time i venture outside. this is a pain in the arse since i live up north and i like to spend time outside, especially being active. at any rate, i got the gloves, which are more like liners with a big cuff. no biggie, i expected this from the get go, after all the batteries gotta go some where. they fit relatively well under my various shells and is easy to operate and the weight isn't an issue.

the down side is the amount of heat. or in my case the lack of sufficient heat. i've been looking around online a bit now for heated gloves and i've come to realize that not all manufactures are clear about the heat output and battery capacity of their product. so this is my cautionary note to you. it's only after receiving the gloves that i realize the maximum output is 55 Celsius with a 3+ volt battery. up north and for my issues, it's equivalent to wearing two liners. the result is the same - frozen digits. i will be returning the gloves. they may be appropriate for someone further down south or maybe someone with less severe issues as myself. for anyone else curios about them here are a few additional notes:
. lowest temperature: 37 Celsius
. mid temperature: 45 Celsius
. max temperature: 55 Celsius

i found similar product to the Verseo ThermoGloves by the ActivHeat Store. tough time finding the battery capacity, but they claim their product heat output is:
. low temperature: 93 Celsius
. mid temperature: 102 Celsius
. max temperature: 111 Celsius

http://www.verseo.com/thermogl...le-heated-gloves.html
http://store.activheat.com/product-p/6bhcgl34r.htm
http://cozywinters.com/shop/battery-heated-gloves.html
http://coreheat.net/Products/Products.html
Statistics
63335 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 499 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 499 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.