These Forums have been Archived.

You cannot post new messages or reply to old ones here.

Please use our new forums located here
or click "Discuss" in the menu on our new site.

Raynaud's Association
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: raynaud's in one hand only
Topic Summary: 8 year old newly diagnosed
Created On: 05/02/2008 02:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/02/2008 02:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
8yearoldwithraynaulds

My eight year old has recently been diagnosed with raynaud's, she has no other symptoms and all of her blood work had came back normal, we are still waiting to go for a nail capillaroscopy even though the doctor doesnt think she needs it, i have read that primary raynaud's has to be in both hands affecting the same fingers, my doctor says this is not true in all cases, does anyone know if it is possible for the primary form of this disease to affect only one hand and if not what does only appearin in one hand suggest? she has only had three attacks, the first two were in her right hand on the middle finger and the third was also her right hand but affected all three middle fingers.
 05/03/2008 01:02 PM

Author Icon
Judith

I've read that Raynaud's symptoms, when they occur in one hand only, may be caused by some sort of occlusion (obstruction) in the arteries leading to the affected fingers. In that case, the Raynaud's would be secondary, not because there's an underlying disease, but because there's a known cause (the occlusion) of the Raynaud's.

I hope the ongoing testing your daughter is undergoing will lead to some clear answers.

-------------------------
Judith
Secondary Raynaud's with underlying systemic sclerosis
 05/03/2008 01:14 PM

Author Icon
8yearoldwithraynaulds

thank you judith, do you know what kind of tests she might have done to test for this type of problem?
 05/03/2008 01:45 PM

Author Icon
Sarah

A Raynaud's attack can vary from person to person. An attack may affect just one or two fingers or toes. Attacks don't necessarily always affect the same digits. An attack may last less than a minute to several hours. Attacks can start out in one hand and as Raynaud's became worse the white color becomes more evenly displayed on both hands. People who have Raynaud's accompanied by another disease will likely also have signs and symptoms related to their underlying condition.

A Raynaud's attack that occurs only on one side of the body could be a sign of diseases of the arteries. Tests should be done to rule out the presence of large-artery diseases such as vasculitis, atherosclerosis or other embolic conditions. Because your daughter is so young these type of diseases are probably unlikely.

This article from the Merck Manual describes a Raynaud's attack in great detail. The article also mentions that "changes are often symmetric" which indicates they can also occur on only one side of the body..
http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec0...ml?qt=raynaud's&alt=sh

I hope this helps.

Sarah

Secondary Raynaud's with a connective tissue disease
 05/03/2008 02:28 PM

Author Icon
Judith

Blood flow to any part of the body can be tested via doppler ultrasound.

I agree with Sarah that, given her age, your daughter's one-sided attacks are more likely to be just an early presentation of her Raynaud's than due to diseases such as atherosclerosis.

Judith
Secondary Raynaud's with underlying systemic sclerosis
 05/03/2008 04:48 PM

Author Icon
kabs4

My husband just had his first rheumatologist appointment (April 15) and his rheumatologist said the same thing. Bilateral for Primary Raynaud's, and unilateral suggests the secondary cause. We were also told (and I have read this) that Primary affects the hands AND the toes. We'll be back on May 9, and the results of 20 tests will hopefully suggest something. Mostly autoantibody tests because the ANA, ESR, and anti-SCL-70 all came back normal, and his nailfolds were only just borderline.

Something is causing the Raynaud's -- it's secondary. Just don't know what. Sounds like we are in the same situation -- waiting, not knowing. Hard for me because he is my kids' dad (young kids), and very hard for you because this is your child.

So lucky to have this group. Let's stay in touch.

Kim (husband Raynaud's at 53)
Statistics
60382 users are registered to the Raynaud's Association forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 7413 on 06/05/2013 at 11:35 PM.
There are currently 1084 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1084 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.