But when you make an investment in a piece of heated apparel, particularly in a jacket, you may find the item doesn’t go with every outfit, or isn’t long enough for the coldest days, or doesn’t pack well for traveling, and you’d rather select another coat for the occasion.
Torch Coat Heater addresses this issue. Their patent-pending Universal Coat Heater is specifically designed to fit seamlessly inside any coat and can easily be moved across the coats in your wardrobe.
We were originally a bit skeptical that a portable product of this type could provide quality heat without being fully installed in the coat, so we were eager to try it. The first sample we received was in the product’s first year on the market, and it was only available in men’s sizes, meaning the band that fits into the coat and carries the rechargeable battery supplying the heat was too long in length to work on womens’ coats, there was just too much fabric.
So we recruited a male Frostie to give it a test. He reported that it was easy to use and install in both lightweight and sturdy coats, and that it provided a good level of warmth for him in the UK where it can be both cold and damp on dreary days, aggravating Raynaud’s symptoms for some sufferers.
With this positive feedback, we were more optimistic, and after waiting several months before ladies’ sizes were finally available, I was able to give the product a try. I’m happy to report the heater’s performance to be very effective. In fact I found it to be too warm seated while driving and had to turn the heat level down twice. It really surrounds your core with heavenly heat!
The Torch heater is easy to install and transfer the battery and belt across coats. The product comes with a Velcro® Installation kit that allows you to install your coat heater in a matter of seconds – just peel and stick the pads into your coat.
The belt that holds the rechargeable battery will then stick to the pads and voila – that’s it! Well, you do need to charge the battery, but that’s a given for any heated jacket.
A few tips and minor issues: First, you need to find the Velcro® pads in the product package. While that may sound like an easy step, it became a considerable challenge. The battery, belt, charger and booklet are all sitting in a plastic holder inside the box. But the Velcro® pads aren’t visible – they are sitting under the plastic holder. Who knew?
Next tip, skip the information booklet and go straight to the installation video on the web site. The booklet is produced in mouse type. Maybe younger Frosties will have no problem reading it, but I personally needed a magnifying glass.
Some minor points on the wearing experience:
- You will be conscious of the battery hanging just under your sleeve pocket in the coat as you wear it, not an issue for built-in heated apparel. But it’s fairly lightweight, and the trade-off for the flexibility of being able to move it from coat-to-coat is worth it.
- It does take time for the heat to build up. If you turn on the coat as you’re heading outside to walk the dog, it won’t warm up fast enough to enjoy the benefit. I now warm up the coat before leaving when planning to use it.
- When standing, I find the heat to be a bit subtle, but it’s there, and you’ll miss it once you remove the coat. When you’re sitting down and closer to the heat source (e.g., driving a car, watching an outdoor sport), you really feel it!
We mention the above to help manage expectations, but found the benefits offered by the Torch Coat Heater well outweighed the slight battery weight or pre-heat time to get the coat toasty before wearing it outside.
A few notes on the product features:
- The Torch Coat battery is thin, lightweight and is fully rechargeable
- Durable and lightweight construction weighs only 4 oz.
- There are 3 heat settings with built-in safety features (temperatures range from 100° to 135°F)
- Pending the setting, the battery provides up to 4 hours of heat
- Pads are made of a soft, mesh fabric (you wouldn’t guess there’s Velcro®!) with special adhesive to adhere to fabrics and durable enough to stand up to any outdoor activity
- Reflective insulation in the pads offer maximum heat transfer, directing all of the heat towards the body
- Thin, flexible fabric makes the heater unnoticeable inside your coat and comfortable to be wrapped around you
- OK to get it wet – it can withstand rain, sweat, and is machine washable
- Bonus extra: The battery has a USB port to charge your phone!
Special Discount for Our Members
Offer Code: 20-Raynauds
The Torch Coat Heater sells for $99.95, significantly less than the cost of a single heated jacket, while adding value to your existing apparel investments. Comes in sizes Small, Medium and Large (see their sizing chart to translate both men’s and women’s sizes).
But it gets better because as a Sponsor of the Raynaud’s Association, Torch is offering our members a 20% discount off your entire order on their site. Just use the Special Promotional Code 20-Raynauds during checkout.
We look forward to trying more of Torch’s products, including their heated gloves and insoles, so stay tuned!
10150 E. Harvard Avenue
Denver, CO 80231
Phone: (602) 653-8489